TOR BROWSER: The Tor software protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location, and it lets you access sites which are blocked.
The Tor Browser lets you use Tor on Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux without needing to install any software. It can run off a USB flash drive, comes with a pre-configured web browser to protect your anonymity, and is self-contained (portable).
TOR is an anonymous of The Onion Router. Tor network runs through the thousands of volunteer of computer servers all over the world. The data which transferred in tor is bundled into a encrypted packet. They employs this network by connecting through a serious of visual tunnels rather than making a direct connection. This type of method allows both the individuals and the organizations to share information over public networks without compromising their privacy.
USE OF TOR BROWSER
By using Tor, you can reach the blocked destination or content or resources. It is also used as building blocks for a software developer to create a new communication tool with built-in privacy features. Among the market, Tor browser is said to be an effective censorship circumvention tool.
In the world of darkness, we are unable to protect ourself from the threat. We all surf the internet in a normal and standard search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing. But, do you know what? there is also the other existence of search engines available on the internet which is completely hidden in the darkness. The hidden web is called the “Deep Web“. It is not crawled by any popular search engine and it is not visible to the public. You can access them only if you are a member of Deep Web.
RELATED ARTICLES: WHAT IS DEEP WEB ?
HOW DOES TOR WORKS ?
Before understanding how tor works ? understanding how basic common internet works gives you a clear idea about tor project.
Tor works on the concept of ‘onion routing’ method in which the user data is first encrypted, and then transferred through different relays present in the Tor network, thus creating a multi-layered encryption (layers like an onion), thereby keeping the identity of the user safe. At each relay, one layer is encrypted and the remaining data is forwarded to any random relay until it reaches its destination server. For the destination server, the last Tor node/exit relay appears as the origin of the data. It is thus very difficult to trace the identity of user or the server by any surveillance systems acting in the mid-way.
Other than providing anonymity to standalone users, Tor can also provide anonymity to websites and servers this comes under the category of hidden services. Also, P2P applications like BitTorrent can be configured to use tor network and download torrent files.
RELATED ARTICLES: STEP BY STEP INSTALLATION GUIDE FOR TOR BROWSER
REALLY TOR BROWSER GIVES ANONYMITY ?
Yes, Tor browser gives anonymity but not in all the time. Tor will protect your data transportation only it will not give you full anonymity to do illegal things
- Dont give your personal info or any other original details in any of the deep web sites.
- Be aware that, like all anonymizing networks that are fast enough for web browsing, Tor does not provide protection against end-to-end timing attacks: If your attacker can watch the traffic coming out of your computer, and also the traffic arriving at your chosen destination, he can use statistical analysis to discover that they are part of the same circuit.
To avoid all risk factor, i recommend all the users to use powerful VPN (Virtual private network) service to give more protection and anonymity.
DO’S AND DON’TS OF TOR
- Use Tor Browser: It is recommended to use Tor browser on your system before getting access to the dark web and its hidden wiki links. It protects your privacy and keeps you remain anonymous online.
- Don’t torrent over Tor: The torrent file seems to be ignoring proxy settings and make a direct connection even when they use Tor. It is because they send your original IP address in the tracker GET request. By this way, the torrent files will work. So, stop downloading or accessing the torrent file over Tor. It should be strictly avoided.
Don’t install and enable browser plugins: By using the browser plugin, your anonymity will get affected. And you will no more be anonymous online. Browser plugins like Flash, Real Player, QuickTime, and others are used to bypass Tor. I don’t recommend enabling browser plugins on Tor browser.
- Use HTTPS versions of websites: Tor will encrypt your traffic within their network, but the encryption to the destination website depends upon that website. Tor browser uses HTTPS everywhere to force the use of encryption. Always use this HTTPS version.
- Don’t open documents downloaded through Tor while online: It is not recommended to open the DOC and PDF files which is been downloaded through Tor while online. This may severely affect your privacy and reveal your original IP. In case, if you need to open the DOC and PDF file on Tor. we strongly recommend either using a disconnected computer, downloading the free Virtual Box and using it with a virtual machine image with networking disabled, or using Tails. Under no circumstances is it safe to use BitTorrent and Tor together,
- Use Bridges: Some of your internal traffic isn’t been watched by Tor as default. To prevent his risk, use a Tor bridge relay rather than connecting directly to the public.
INTRODUCTION TO BITCOINS AND THE TOR NETWORK
Internet users familiar with the underground community are likely to have heard the phrase “deep web”. It combines a set of websites and communications technologies which apply solely to the Tor network. This collective open-source software has blossomed into a revolutionary idea in just a few years.
On a similar note the bitcoins currency has also been gaining some attention. Although these two ideas are not correlated, they do fit together in the subject of underground web technology. Throughout this guide I’d like to introduce you to the topic of bitcoins, how they work, and their connection with the Tor network. Let’s first clarify what Tor is really about.
THE TOR PROJECT
The original Tor network project isn’t as underground as it used to be. The open-source software was an effort to provide a new layer of Internet protection between the user and the remote website server, thus sheltering your privacy somewhat and providing you with a sense of security. This is accomplished by using 3 different relay proxies which re-direct you along a random path in the network.
Similar to Bit Torrent, users of the Tor network will keep their computers running 24/7 as a relay service. This means when you go to access a website on Tor it’ll pass your request through 3 different computers . This level of encryption ensures that no single computer within the proxy chain can determine your physical location and requested content. The official Tor FAQ contains more technical details if you’re interested.
This is crucial for users who prefers to keep their location and privacy unknown, individuals like whistle blowers or abuse victims. The fact that a wider variety of people now use Tor increases the level of security, helping you hide among the many other faceless users who are on the network.
This new technology is used within the Tor network to communicate hosts with dark net websites. These are still HTML/CSS pages which have been hosted on servers specifically targeting an. Onion DNS address. This TLD (Top-Level Domain) is actually similar to other country codes such as .us, .co.uk, .es and others. However you are not accessing the same websites, as through an HTTP/FTP connection. The most intriguing part of the Onion routing network is within their unique URL addresses.